Monday, October 26, 2015

Barefoot Running in a Skirt


Seize the day!  I wake up every morning and mean to workout. But not everyday do I really mean it. Today was one of those days until.... LOW TIDE! My favorite surface to train on is flat wet sand. It's a dream! For me it seems to be the most supportive surface while I'm transitioning to a barefoot style of running.

Today I decided to go with the wind and heed the siren call of  the low tide sea. No worries about not having my double layer socks and running shoes with me. No worries about getting sand in my shoes while walking to the packed sand. Just me and my toes. I was bummed I didn't have my Paleo Shoes with me but the joy of training in a barefoot running style is that your options are wide open.

Today I made do without my Paleo Shoes because I wasn't too worried about protecting the bottom of my feet. As long as I didn't step on the stingray who made a poor life decision today (see picture above), I would most likely be ok. Let's take a moment to pause and reflect on the lesson  he/she taught us about misjudging the direction of the tides in our lives....hummm.... Ok! It's time to move on! It still amazes me how much more I enjoy running / jogging / walking with free toes. I really, really, REALLY hate hot sweaty feet.

With the freedom of my toes, is the freedom from my dependence on workout clothes. Don't get me wrong, ideally I'd like to have them. But if I'm wearing a skirt it doesn't mean I can't run. I'm 100% inspired by the Rarámuri in Mexico. The women run in their sandals and skirts. They don't need coolmax shirts or lululemon pants to run. It doesn't stop them.  It doesn't need to stop me either.

No comments:

Post a Comment